Wednesday, November 7, 2012

a few of my favorite prints

I used to be scared of colour... well, maybe not scared... just bored with the colour photography that I was seeing around me. (See this CieraDesign blog feature for more about this) I didn't like most of my own colour photographs, and found very few images that I liked and would actually consider putting up in my house... then I joined Etsy...
And my eyes were opened to a whole new world of colour and texture and layers and wonder of all wonders, colour photographs that I would actually consider putting up in my house (not just consider... I actually do want to buy tons of them!! thank heavens for my practical side... otherwise I'd have ten images to every wall in our tiny suite!)
Anyway, this new world of colour photography inspired me by opening my eyes to see the potential in every colour image. Over the past few months I've been experimenting and having fun with all these new possibilities and I wanted to share with you my favorite images so far!


Taken several years ago on a road trip with my mom on Route 101 along the California coast, this image is one of my top favorites now. Not only does it invoke special memories of that road trip, but it also seems to capture the unique beauty of the coastline in a timeless way. I've titled it "The Road Less Traveled" because it epitomizes the special moments in the journeys of life when you choose to do something no one else is doing, or live according to your convictions no matter what others may think. To me it represents my relationship with God and the way Tim and I have chosen to live our daily lives. There's a richness in the journey that would be missed taking any other path (especially since the only other road home was the I5, which is a little lacking in scenery :)


 Then there's this print called "Two For The Sun", which I took in LA a few years ago when I stopped in to visit a friend at the LA YWAM base. We went for a walk and I snapped a quick pic of these palm trees and never thought about the image again until I was perusing through my archives this past winter looking for inspiration. This was the first of my teal and turquoise saturated images and I LOVE it. I spent a lot of time in southern California growing up and I have a huge soft spot in my heart for the vintage Hollywood glam of Palm Springs.







 And lastly (for now) there's this lovely print... "Letters From the Beach" taken on the same road trip when we stopped for a quick break at the Ventura beach before heading up the coast. This one is so simple yet vibrant. The rich turquoise and aqua colours are perfect for any beach decor. I'd love a big print of this hanging over my bed... maybe with white wainscotting and an antique headboard...
hmm....


(originally posted May 12, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment